Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Exportation of Sand


Iraq is a country that is 10 parts sand to 1 part water. That's a lot of sand. (Hence, my term "sand lands".) But regardless of the amount of sand there, it's apparently not good enough for the American military, which is why we are sending MORE sand to Iraq. Wait. What now?

Correct. According to
The New York Times, the US military is building a bunch of blast walls all over Iraq. That's likely because it's rather blast-y there. But according to a one Maj. Gen. Phillip E. McGhee, "...you look to see that based on the specs that we have for blast walls, it takes a particular grain and quality of sand. That sand is not in Iraq, so you have to bring the sand in."

Now, look, that may or may not be true. I have no idea. The guy says that it's true, so I guess that it's supposed to be. But when I continually hear the cases of contractor fraud that goes on in Iraq and the gazillions of dollars that are wasted because of said fraud, I have to admit that I'm a little skeptical that the type of sand that is over there just isn't sufficient. Again, I'm not saying that it's a big sham. I'm just saying that it's all a little suspicious. I mean, seriously. With all of the technology and stuff that we know how to do, are you telling me that there isn't a way to make a blast wall up to the specifications that we need it to be by using some of the resources that are already there? I can't imagine that there isn't a cheaper way to do this.

I'd like to know who it is that's selling them all of this sand. I have ten bucks that says whoever the contractor is, whoever the seller of the sand is, whoever is connected to this procedure, whoever it is will be found to be somehow connected to some Senator somewhere. Think about it! We're buying SAND so it can be shipped to IRAQ! Next up? Buying ice cubes to ship them to Antarctica.

And since I'm really tired right now, that's about all I have to say about that. (If I could only be this concise all the time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment