Thursday, February 11, 2010

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Are Signs

I love it when these Tea Party rallies or any sort of rally for that matter, take place. Sure, part of it is because of my whole love of the First Amendment and crap like that. I mean, at least the First Amendment reason sounds really good. But let's face it. It's the potential for mocking that really intrigues me and draws me to pay close attention to these things. The more offbeat the cause, the wackier the signs, and the greater my enjoyment. Oh, and the bigger chance that there are going to be some hilarious misspellings.

Let's head on over to Tea Party Nation during their Nashville stop last Thursday. We have these folks who are advising President Barry to "Read the Consitution". I'm going to advise them to read the dictionary or at least, perhaps, consult spell check somehow before proudly displaying your misspelled direction for the President.


Perhaps if the folks above do get that dictionary or that spell check (for posterboard?) they can loan it to the folks below who are, apparently, VERY against the "pubic option". I'm not really sure what sort of situation we're talking about in which one of the options is the pubic one, but I think I might be against it too. I don't think I'd make a big ol' sign stating my opposition, but still...

Down in Texas, there was a rally to support the Governor Rick Perry. Now if there was only a rally to support those who are "homescholed", as they are going to need some sort of support with the atrocious spelling skills that they have finely honed from all of those years in "schol" at home.

I spend a fair amount of time reminding people that President Barry is not a Muslim. He's not. He's not a Muslim. Apparently, I now have to begin reminding people that's he's not made out of a textile fabric either. Nope, he's not muslin. (Seriously, what is wrong with you people? Both the ones who think he's Muslim and the ones who think he's muslin. What is wrong with you?


Are you familiar with whack-a-do nutjob Fred Phelps? Fred Phelps is the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas. The Anti-Defamation League has labeled them to be a hate group. That is probably due to their protests and their signage/slogans consisting of little gems such as "God Hates Fags", "Thank God for Dead Soldiers", "America Is Doomed" and "Priests Rape Boys". They're not well.

Anyway, the point here is that a couple of weeks ago for some reason, Phelps and his group decided to protest outside of the Twitter offices in California. When asked what the problem was with Twitter, one woman with this group of lunatics explained that "Twitter should be used to tell the punks of doomed America that God hates you!" Huh. Sooooo...since Twitter can't tweet itself, it's up to the WBC to protest against...Twitter? What now? (If you weren't convinced that they were a little bit off their rockers before now, the protest against Twitter for the given reason should have convinced you of otherwise.)

Mind you, Twitter offices are headquartered in San Francisco. There's nothing that San Francisco loves more than a good street protest. Heck, there's nothing more that San Francisco loves more than any reason to get out on the street and be different. And this was different. Somehow it was decided that the best way to protest the ridiculousness of the WBC's protest was to do so with said ridiculousness themselves. What resulted was hilarity at its finest.

See, the Fred Phelps followers signs are just idiotic. What's even more idiotic is having more signs and more hate than you have people. For instance, the person below clearly cannot manage all of their signs. And that really makes the hate protest seem not only silly, but disorganized as well. Behold!

Other signs that these morons were wielding were inexplicable to me. For instance, why is a frog (or some sort of amphibious creature) seeming to jump out of President Barry's mouth? I"m sure that the Bible passage that they have noted on their sign has something to do with it, but I'm not going to look it up. It's not going to change my mind and make me think that it's not ridiculous. See, I have a belief that protest signs shouldn't involve any work on the part of the person reading the sign. You want to protest something and get your message across to me? Fine. But don't expect me to be running around doing all of your work for you. Put your message on your blasted sign!

But in retaliation or response to the WBC nutjobs, the fine folks that showed up for this thing brought their A-game. They also brought signs such as those that stated the obvious (and the pointless, which mirrored the WBC protest exactly).

They brought signs suggesting other ridiculous things that God might hate. (I find it odd that a church can go around spouting that God hates anything, but whatever. These signs merely accentuated that point quite nicely.) Perhaps He is not fond of ponies.

Maybe the WBC folks have it all wrong and God doesn't "hate fags", but instead really "hates flags".
Or maybe He just finds retweets as annoying as the rest of us do.

But at least they couldn't lie and say anything derogatory about Kraft Mac n' Cheese. Come on! Who doesn't love that stuff?! No one! Not even God!


All I know is that after looking at all of the energy that the WBC puts into their hate campaigns, I had the same sentiment that the fellow below seemed to have with his sign.

But seeing them all together like this still managed to keep me amused. Man, I love a good sign. I'd really like to know who was behind this idea so that I could encourage them to spread the idea of their message to other folks who have to deal with the morons. Nothing like the silly to point out the sillier. It's hard to take hate seriously when you're laughing your butt off.

No comments:

Post a Comment