Friday, March 7, 2008

Congrats to NBCC Winners!

Congratulations to this year's winners of the 2007 National Book Critics Circle Award, the second of the big three annual, semi-comprehensive publishing awards (the other two being the National Book Awards, which are given out in the fall, and the Pulitzer Prizes, which are awarded in the spring).

This year's winners include several books highlighted here as books of the month or mentioned in my posts, and the remarkable fact that three of the winners this year are writers of color, all of African descent (Junot Díaz, Harriet A. Washington and Edwidge Danticat). Here are this year's winners:

Criticism
The Rest is Noise, by Alex Ross (an exceptional, accessible work of music criticism, and I thank Reggie for suggesting I check it out)

Poetry
Elegy, by Mary Jo Bang

General Nonfiction
Medical Apartheid, by Harriet Washington

Autobiography
Brother, I'm Dying, by Edwidge Danticat (a heartwrenching, outstanding work of nonfiction by one of the best writers writing today)

Fiction
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Díaz (this is far away one of the best, most inventive, most intellectually engaging (to me) novels I have read in years, and I am going to teach it this spring quarter--I can't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment